Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thing # 19 - LibraryThing - I am giddy in LOVE!

I dealt with LibraryThing at #s 11 and 13, but really worked with it here at #19. Oh my goodness, what FUN! As a cataloger, working with LibraryThing is a dream come true. I registered and hit the ground running. Added 7 books to my account - BEAUTIFUL display of covers. I looked around for what I could add next and pulled the "kiddie lit"from the bottom shelf of one of my bookcases. I whizzed through them, entering 60 ISBNs in less than an hour. What a high! Only half a dozen not in the system - to be added manually. When you are in LibraryThing.com take a look at my library: CSMLibrarian.

Features I particularly appreciate include: Member Tags - which show me how other folks access each title. I can use some of these rather than thinking up my own tags. Reviews - interesting and informative. Tell how to use books in classroom or for storytime. Conversations - actual dialogs. Groups -so many to be part of - like Librarians who LibraryThing (5422 members) librarians, catalogers, archivists, students... or anyone else who wants to talk about metadata, tagging, FRBR, library… just my thing!

Happy Pat

No comments: